Sunday 21 April 2019

Clean your frickin' brushes!

I'm so ashamed of the state that my makeup brushes get into. I'm such a filthy urchin when it comes to washing makeup brushes, which makes NO sense, because I like to think I take really good care of my skin. Here's a newsflash for (me and) you! If you're rubbing dirty sponges and brushes all over your face, you're depositing so much more than just makeup into your pores.
If you're randomly breaking out and blaming your foundation, or that you've been "wearing too much makeup", maybe it's just that your trusty tools need a bit of attention. This is certainly almost always the case for me. I'm not showing you, it's too gross.

It's not even hard or time consuming to do (though you do need to give them some time to really dry out properly).

Here's how I do it:

Products: I absolutely swear by Daiso's puff and sponge cleaner. It's AMAZING, and its cheap (because Daiso!) and I've never used anything that leaned brushes and sponges quite as effectively and efficiently as this does.They also have a brush cleaner product, but I have't tried that yet. I'm almost out of the 5 bottles I bought the last time I went to Daiso, so I'll see if I can get both this time and do a bit of a review for you.

Then it's simple, warm running water (don't leave your brushes soaking in water, it's not going to do anything extra except make the hairs fall out of them), a squirt of cleaners into the palm of your hand and off you go! Run the brush under the tap until it's wet through, then swirl it into the cleanser in your hand, really working the product into the brush hairs. Repeat as necessary until the water runs clear, then give the brush a gentle squeeze and set aside on a towel of in a drying rack. Don't pull at the hairs as you're squeezing out the water. Leave them to dry, give them a swirl on the towel when they're half dry to fluff the hairs up, and then once you've got them completely dry again, they're ready to use!

I don't know if it's my cleaning method, or the fact that they're just amazing brushes, but my set is mostly comprised of Real Techniques brushes (both old school and the gorgeous metal ones) and they come back to near-new when I clean them. I say near-new because 2 of my eyeshadow brushes are stained from intense pigment shades, and I'm ok with that.
The handles are looking 5 years old, let's be honest. They're worn and a bit discoloured at the ends, but the bristles/hairs are still beautiful and soft, and they bounce back to their original shape every single time. I'm thoroughly impressed, both with my brushes and the cleaning process.

Go grab your brushes and sponges now, have a look, if they're gross or you just haven't cleaned them in a while, get to it! Your skin will thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment