Saturday, 22 March 2014

BREAST CANCER AWARENESS - SELFIES?

This week, women all across the UK have been taking bare-faced selfies and donating 3 pounds via their phone provider to breast cancer research.

They've raised over 2 million pounds for the cause, which is bloody amazing. This is the power of viral marketing. And they all look beautiful without their makeup on.

With that all said, I've seen women from my country (Australia) doing it too. Posting the selfie and nominating others... and SOME of them have mentioned breast cancer, but mostly it's just for the game of it, and really, we all know that breast cancer exists, so posting "yay selfie because breast cancer" doesn't do squat for awareness.

Fear not, dear readers, this isn't just a bitch session post. I want to do something about it.

I don't have the means to begin a national fundraiser, but I do have about 5,000 of you every month checking out my blog, and that could make for the beginnings of our very own viral awareness campaign...if we all do it and share the reasons why.

Here's what I want you to do:

We're going to raise awareness for breast cancer, so I want the posts to be informative. Most women forget to check out their boobs as often as they should, or they're embarrassed about it, or for some reason, they don't want to. Here's the big fact about breast cancer. Your best chance to avoid a death sentence is early detection. We need to be checking our breasts for changes in appearance (by looking for lumps, AND for changes in the skin, like wrinkly patches or loose skin, AND for nipple changes, such as discharge or inversion) every month. It takes 2 minutes, you can do it in the shower! The best time to do it is right after your period, because your hormones will be as even as they're going to get, and regular changes in breast tissue can occur during hormone fluctuations (a lot of women have "lumpy" boobs later in the cycle).

I don't even want you guys to link to this page or credit me, because that's not what this is about (unless you think that someone can benefit from the information here).

Just post something to the effect of "I checked my boobs today, because early detection of changes in the breast might save my life. Your life matters to me, too. Go check your boobs and repost this status, tagging the women you care about." on your twitter, your facebook, your tumblr, instagram, whatever social media you have. Then tag a bunch of friends in it.

That's it... it's that simple. Let's give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment